Sarasota County School Board Members
1960 Landings Blvd
Green 3rd Floor
Sarasota, FL 34231
Fri, Jan 27, 2023
Dear School Board Members,
We have learned that the school board's policy currently only allows for fingerprint submissions to be conducted by the Fingerprint Office of Sarasota County Schools or the North Port Police Department for VECHS level 2 background screening. We respectfully request that the school board vote to modify this policy, as it unfairly discriminates against FDLE registered LiveScan service providers like ourselves. If the board chooses not to change the policy, we request a written explanation as to why it believes the current policies adequately serve the interests of Sarasota County Schools and its community.
We respectfully submit the following reasons for why we believe all fingerprint submissions conducted by FDLE registered providers should be accepted:
- FDLE registered providers are qualified to submit under VECHS, and the results are identical to those submitted by the Fingerprint Office or the North Port Police Department.
- As a non-profit governmental body, the School Board should not profit from mandatory requirements for volunteers, contractors, as well as new and existing employees.
- Charter Schools are private institutions and should have the discretion to use the LiveScan provider of their choice and should not be restricted by this policy.
- There is no apparent justification for why fingerprinting can be conducted by the North Port Police Department but not other outside agencies.
- The current policy limits thousands of individuals from obtaining their fingerprints outside the Fingerprint Office's normal business hours of Monday through Friday 8:45 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. or North Port Police’s hours of operation from 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Wednesday and Friday.
Please inform us in writing when the school board plans to hold a vote on this matter.
3947 Clark Rd #G
Sarasota, FL 34233
Rebecca Gore & Jennifer Ellis
A1 Fingerprinting & Drug Screening
13641 Tamiami Trail
North Port, FL 34287